Learn, Lead, Succeed!


GED® and GED Testing Service® are trademarks of the American Council on Education® and may not be used or reproduced without express written permission.


Preparing for the GED

If you are interested in taking the GED, we strongly encourage you to prepare for the test. Please refer to our Adult Basic Education page to find out if this program is a good fit. You can also locate additional GED Prep centers at GED.com.   

Taking the GED in Idaho

Those who wish to take the GED in Idaho must be at least 18 years of age and not currently enrolled in high school. Students between ages 16-17 may take the GED if they meet the eligibility requirements and complete the Youth Waiver & Release Form and provide this form to the testing site.  Once the form is provided to the testing site, students will receive an email notification to continue the registration process on GED.com.

To register for the GED, please visit https://GED.com. There you can set up a user profile, view testing sites in your area, and schedule your tests. There are four tests in total, and each test costs $30. The total battery costs $120.
Please note – the information that you provide when you register at GED.com is the information that will appear on your official GED records. Be sure you use your full legal name and provide the correct address and contact information.

Warning – you may encounter companies who claim to provide online GED testing. These tests are not considered official and often cost much more than the official GED test itself. The only way to obtain an official GED credential is to register through GED.com and take the test at an official testing center. GED.com does offer practice tests, which you can access through their website. If you have any concerns about the validity of a GED test, please feel free to contact us at the state office.


GED Transcripts

Please visit our Transcript page for specific instructions on how to obtain a copy of your GED transcript. This document verifies that you completed and passed the GED and is typically what you will be asked to provide to potential employers, colleges, and others.

High School Equivalency Certificate

Idaho offers students the option of obtaining a High School Equivalency Certificate (HSEC). The certificate is a high-quality, individually numbered and frame-able document signed by the State Superintendent of Education. It does not contain test scores or other information about your GED. If a certificate is lost or destroyed, we cannot issue a replacement or copies.

To qualify for the HSEC, a student must pass the GED. Students who completed the GED prior to 2014 must also compolete an American Government requirement. This requirement can be met if the student passed an American Government course while enrolled in an Idaho high school, at college, or by an accredited correspondence course. The student may also meet this requirement by passing the American Government test.

To request your HSEC, please complete the request form(located under "Quicklins"), which must be notarized. Send the form, along with a $10 check or money order made out to “The Division of Professional-Technical Education”, and any other required documentation to:


Idaho Division of Professional-Technical Education
Attn: GED Office
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0095

Any HSEC applications submitted without all required documentation and a correctly endorsed check or money order will be returned to the student.