Scholarship Advice for Freshmen
- Start looking for scholarships today! It's not too early! There are scholarships out there for persons of almost any age.
- Your grades don't have to be perfect to get scholarships. However, your eligibility for scholarships increases A LOT when you keep your GPA above 3.0!
- Seek tutoring and outside help with your classes.
- NOW is the time to get involved in clubs, activities and community service!!! Some scholarship applications ask how you were involved for each year of high school. Keep track of your volunteer projects and hours, as well as any certificates, awards or honors that you receive.
- Go to CongressionalAward.org to register for awards. Set goals in one or more of four areas, including Volunteer/Public Service, Personal Development, Physical Fitness and Expedition/Exploration. When a goal is met, students receive Congressional certificates or medals. A gold medal takes a minimum of 2 years to achieve. Having a Congressional Gold Medal on a scholarship or college application would look great!