Initial Certificate/Applying for the Secondary Standard Certificate with a Professional Technical Endorsement
This application packet is intended for those individuals who have complete a teacher preparation progam at a Idaho College/University and seeking their initial Idaho certificate/credential.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate/credential in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1) Completed and signed application (Form B1 - Application for an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
- Educational Data: Transcripts (if applicable) from the college or university demonstrating completion of postsecondary coursework. Copies of official transcripts will be accepted. Transcripts should be included in the application packet.
- Employment Experience: Resume may be used to document employment experience. Resume should be included in application packet.
- Occupational Related Licensure (if applicable): Documentation of licensure from appropriate state agency and requirements for teaching in a PTE program. Copies should be included in the application packet.
2) Completed fingerprint card (not required for those seeking an evaluation only)
Applications must include a completed fingerprint card and the associated $40 fee. The Idaho certificate/credential will not be issued until the results of the criminal history background check are received from the BCI/FBI. A card verifying eligibility for certification will be issued if the applicant meets all academic requirements for certification. Possession of this card will allow a person who is academically eligible for certification to pursue employment as an Idaho educator pending results of the criminal history check. A fingerprint card is not required for those seeking an evaluation only.
Fingerprint cards are not available on the State Department of Education website. Please contact Shannon Haas at (208) 332-6888 or Cathi Day at (208) 332-6883 for further information regarding fingerprint requirements and to obtain the fingerprint card and instructions. Click here for the Fingerprinting/Criminal History Checklist website.
3) Application fee - $75
Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Credit cards are not accepted. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins.
- $75 for the certificate/credential fee
- $40 for the fingerprinting/criminal history background check (if first-time applicant for an Idaho teaching credential)
One check or money order for both fees is acceptable.
* If an out-of-state applicant is requesting an evaluation only, the $75 certification fee is valid for only two (2) years. If a certificate/credential is not issued within two (2) years from receipt of the application, a new $75 fee will be required
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027