Renewal of a Standard Secondary Certificate with PTE Endorsement
Certification Responsibilities and Regulations
The certificated educator has sole responsibility for maintaining current, valid Idaho certification. For renewal purposes, the applicant must meet current State Board of Education rule and Idaho statutory renewal requirements.
NOTE: The applicant is responsible for notifying the State Department of Education and/or the Division of Professional-Technical Education certification office of either a name change or change of address. All regular Idaho credentials must be renewed every five (5) years to remain valid. The renewal application may be submitted anytime after January 1 of the year in which the certificate expires.
A complete application packet must include the following items:
1) Completed and signed application (Form B1-R - Application for Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
2) Application Fee - $75
- Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins only.
- At least six (6) semester credits or the equivalent are required within the five (5)-year period of validity of the certificate being renewed. Recertification credits may not be carried over from one (1) renewal/recertification period to the next.
- At least three (3) semester credits must be taken for university or college credit.
- In-service hours may be used by Idaho educators who hold a current Idaho teaching certificate as a substitute for up to three (3) of the six (6) semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) in-service hour. Continuing Education Units are not accepted. Verification of completion of equivalent in-service (Form B7 - Verification of Completion of Equivalent In-service) must be provided upon request to verify the recertification credits completed through district approved in-service.
- Must be educationally related to the professional development of the applicant.
- Must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of other endorsement.
- Must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration.
- Official transcripts must be provided to verify the recertification/renewal credits completed through an accredited college or university. If the transcripted course is not directly educationally related to the content area, a signed Verification of College/University Course Content Approval form ( Form B13 - Verification of College/University Course Content Approval) must accompany the official transcripts. Official transcripts must be submitted with the renewal application if adding a new certificate or endorsement area.
- NOTE: If an educator holding an Idaho credential is required to meet the literacy provisions of Section 33-1207A, Idaho Code, he/she must complete the SBOE-required three (3) semester credit hours of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course or pass the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment or obtain a written waiver. If a letter signed by the superintendent and board chair is sent to the certification office requesting a waiver for an individual to not be held accountable for the requirements for this statute, this request will be considered.
- Click on the following webpage to determine who is required to meet the ICLC/ICLA requirement: Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment
3) Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027
1) Credits taken for recertification/renewal:
2) Verification of completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC), or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA), if applicable
- Pursuant to Idaho Board Rule, IDAPA 08.02.02.016.01, in order to recertify, a select group of Idaho educators and administrators are required to take one of the three state approved mathematics instruction courses titled Mathematical Thinking for Instruction (MTI)
- Click on the following webpage to determine who is required to meet the MTI/TMT requirement: Mathematical Teaching for Instruction
3) Verification of completion of the Mathematical Thinking for Instruction Course (MTI), or Teaching Mathematical Thinking Course (TMT), if applicable